Although Montessori education began over one hundred years ago, it is more relevant today than ever.
Part of the reason Montessori education is the fastest growing form of education in the country is that it prepares students for the 21st century world in a way that adapts to each child’s unique learning style and character.
Montessori education, carried out faithfully at Thacher, helps students be self-motivated and confident, independent and creative, and culturally literate learners who value collaboration and social action. Recent educational and neurological research about learning and brain development reinforce the tenets of a quality Montessori education such as found at Thacher Montessori School.
WE INSPIRE INTRINSIC MOTIVATION
- Our students develop the habit of doing something that needs to be done but without being told to do so. Students challenge themselves to improve.
WE INTRODUCE INTERNAL CONTROLS AND LIMITS
- Thacher allows children to make appropriate choices. They learn to share, compromise, and understand the natural consequences of one’s actions.
WE MODEL EMPATHY
- Our staff leads the way in feeling others’ concerns, understanding their views, and being responsive to each other. In turn, our students work cooperatively and effectively within groups as well as learn the ability to communicate effectively with people of all ages.
WE UNDERSTAND AND EMBRACE DIVERSITY WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY
- Thacher observes the richness diversity offers, leading to respect for others.
WE ENCOURAGE INDEPENDENCE
- Students develop responsibility by creating a schedule/work plan and following it accordingly.
WE INSPIRE LEARNING FOR THE SAKE OF LEARNING
- This leads to a lifelong passion for knowledge.
WE HELP STUDENTS
- Thacher students develop critical thinking skills (higher level thinking).
OUR GUIDES UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS OF LEARNING
- Understand the process behind the acquisition of knowledge. The accumulation of facts is necessary for standardized tests and other mandated standards of learning.
WE REINFORCE A CHILD’S OWN LEARNING
- Montessori fosters a child’s natural curiosity, instills a joy of learning, and provides an effective and efficacious academic learning environment.
WE INTEGRATE KNOWLEDGE
- Understand oneself – develop greater self-confidence and self-assurance. Through works and interactions with others, students learn to appreciate themselves.